Sunday, February 05, 2006

Time Machine Memory Tour-8th Grade Graduate

Before entering my freshman year of high school, several things happened, which are important to mention.

The last day of my 8th grade year of school, I endured a ritual of hazing that has since been discontinued, from what I hear. Rumors had it that I was on the top 5 list of girls to be hazed, for 3 reasons. #1-I was the junior high majorette, and some of the highschoolers didn't like that I beat out someone they loved. #2-I was attending some weekly teen American Legion dances, and had danced with some of the high school guys-the high school girls were jealous of that, #3-I had been voted in as Freshman representative of the student council (see, I'm going down a different path, thanks to Mrs. Gleason and others).

I had only 3 choices on hazing day-all of the 8th graders considered these same options. I could try to walk home like normal, but since the upperclassman had cars, the tormented walk home was said to be just as bad as surrendering to the hazing willingly. Also, it was told, much like a folk-tale passed down from generation to generation, that if a person didn't surrender to hazing on that one day, they would have to endure it their entire Freshman year. My other choice was for my Mom to pick me up at school. This is what a lot of kids did to try to avoid the bullying. For some reason, Mom and I decided this wasn't a good choice-maybe she couldn't make it that day, or we just thought it was best to go through it. Some of the kids, sadly looking for popularity, asked to be part of the hazing even if they weren't on the lists. They didn't realize just how lucky they were, because it was humiliating. I picked option 3-going along with their whims and wishes for one day.

I remember at least 2 things I had to do. I was forced to go to that same body of water in which I had hoped to be baptized, and was told I had to button in the water. Buttoning is when a candidate puts one hand on his/her hip, and then makes a thumbs up, the places that hand, thumb down, on his/her head. Then, they were to do deep knee bends, while they said whatever the upperclassman wanted. Doing this in the water, there was risk of the water covering my whole head at points, and it was scary, especially when they said to keep talking even if the water came over your mouth. I can't remember how I dealt with the risks, but I must have found some shallow water. The other thing I had to do was go to the Walmart sign, by our main road, Georgia Street, and do more buttoning, while I said more things to their liking. I can't remember what else I had to do that day, but those two things stand out in my mind. Some kids who refused to endure hazing day, had to do penny races in the school halls, pushing pennies from starting line to finish line, down on their hands and knees, propelling the pennies along with their noses. By going along with hazing day, at least I didn't have to do that. Others had to wash cars with toothbrushes and then brush their teeth. Things like that. I can't remember what else went on.

Another thing that happened before I started my Freshman year was that I made a new circle of friends. The girls I met while candystriping were such great fun. I remember for sure: Teri Wilhoit, Joy Weese, Moira Horton, and Virgina Garth. These same girls ended up being some of my close friends in high school-all a grade older than me.

Next I'll start sharing about my Freshman year of highschool...

1 comment:

wade said...

Noix Creek