Friday, February 24, 2006

Proverbs 24:2

I'm going to try to type out a Proverb a Day, using the date as the chapter (hence 24th chapter for 24th day of the month) and the month number as the verse number (hence the 2nd verse for the 2nd month of the year).

Here goes:

"For their heart studieth destruction, and their lips talk of mischief." KJV

WHO: evil people-see verse 1 for clarification
WHAT: they desire to destroy (often with violence), they speak trouble.
WHEN: whenever they have opportunity (assumed from the passage)
WHERE: with anyone who will be a partner to it (verse 1 instructs us not to desire to be with these sorts of people)
WHY: evil people are like this because sadly, it comes naturally to them. Why should I avoid them? So that they don't bring me down. Their negative words can cause me to have a negative attitude, and their negative actions can cause me to choose ungodly deeds.

Clarification: This is not a shunning, but a wise choice to surround self with positive people who strive to glorify God in all they say and do. Not all people who say they are believers are positive people. I would be wise not to spend as much time with the downer people, to protect my own growth and journey. But, there will always be times when I am placed in the presence of someone who wants to bring someone else down. At those times, I am best off to keep my guard up and be skeptical of any sweet words (flattery) they might bestow upon me. They can be tricky, tricky--sneaky, sneaky!

No comments: