Saturday, February 25, 2006

Squeaky Wheel Gets The Worm (grin-see below)

My Grandma Mary used to mix up her proverbs like this. We all know the real saying is, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil." Here is an example:

Remember the complaint letter I wrote to the United States Post Office regarding our local p.o.? They e-mailed me with a follow up question. I e-mailed back. Today, by regular snail mail, I get the following letter:

(the third paragraph is the best, so hang on)

Dear Ms. Willis:

This letter is in response to your recent call to our National Call Center regarding your concerns with the Postmaster in Burlington.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Much like any service organization, quality customer service from professional, courteous, and friendly employees is vital. We are always concerned when a customer is not satisfied with the way we conduct a transaction or provide a service.

I want to take this opportunity to personally apologize on behalf of the Postal Service. As a customer, you have many choices today and it is vital that we provide the level of professional service you deserve and have come to expect. I regret this experience, which is not indicative of the service we wish to provide.

Because of the nature of your inquiry, this issue has been referred to...

Ms. Willis, I hope you will be forgiving enough to give us another opportunity to serve you. Your business is important to us.

Thank you for calling this matter to our attention.

Sincerely"

To quote the church lady, "Now-wasn't THAT special?"

It really DID mean a lot to me-to know that as a tax payer I still have some rights in this country. Getting mail most days of the week, and being treated like a human being by government employees, are two such privileges I get by being an American.

No comments: