Saturday, February 25, 2006

Mentor Relationship

I was humbled (and still am-to think of it!) to be asked by a dear online friend to mentor her writing career this year. Carmen, you have so much talent that I fully expect for you to pass up what little knowledge I have of the written language in the very near future. I can't wait to see even more of your work in print (on paper and on e-screen).

Last night we caught each other online at the same time, and we really hammered out one of her articles and also searched for appropriate markets. Then we made a plan of attack for approaching these markets. Working on it together, though at least 2 or 3 time zones apart, was very exhilarating.

It was rewarding to sense light bulbs go on all over the place, and to work together to polish a piece from very good to excellent. I edited a sentence or paragraph. If I forgot to explain why I thought it needed changed, she asked "why." We then discussed the "why." To be honest, the "why" is the reason I'm in this mentorship with Carmen. I could easily just edit pieces and send them on their way, but I want to have the opportunity to help writers not quite as far along on the journey as me, and help them on their way with tips and pointers. I have not arrived by any means. There are those further along, who help me out as well.

It's really a sort of "pay it forward" type of arrangement. But the more I attempt to be a help, the more I find I'm the one being blessed. Now how cool is that? The whole reaping and sowing thing. Or better to give than receive. With being a mentor, I get to give AND receive!

No comments: