Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Stopped In Traffic

"Look at that gal talking with her hands," I thought with curiosity. Inquisitive Kathy was at work again, noticing people living life out loud. "Wait a minute, she's not in a discussion, she is doing hand motions. Maybe she is using sign language."

All the time I was observing the girl in the car next to me at the stop sign, I was humming along with the radio. They were playing the praise song, "Lord I Lift Your Name On High." My thoughts drifted (as they are prone to do) to a previous youth service, remembering the touching motions that went with the song.

Then it dawned on me. I glanced over to the car next to me again, and I realized the driver was singing the same song I was singing, and she was also doing the motions, modified for driving. I was inspired to think that we were two women of many in that metropolitan area, tuned in to the same Christian radio station, singing the same song in our cars, along a busy mall road. What is the likelihood of that happening? I don't know the odds, but I do know that others probably thought WE were ODD!

I'm guessing God was blessed by our impromptu worship. "Where two or three are gathered in my name..." We weren't meeting in a church building, but we were together in our focus on God in the middle of our busy days. He wasn't just relegated to Sundays, but was invited into our daily lives.

We can also pray in our cars, as long as we don't close our eyes. I know someone who looks at flash cards to memorize Bible verses while he is driving, but I don't recommend it. Let's keep our eyes on the road, while our hearts and minds visit with God. Even rush hour won't seem so dreadful when we realize we have company on the road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

It is amazing how when we dwell in the Lord we see so much more of Christ around us. I believe you and I look at spiritual things alot the same,God draws us through many different things that happen in our everday life. May you continue to grow in Christ.

David R.