Monday, July 24, 2006

RECIPE: Kathy's Breakfast Casserole


I made this for our Sunday School class yesterday and it was a big hit. I have to tell you a funny story behind the recipe, though. It was Saturday night and I didn't feel like going to the store to get something for our class breakfast. So I decided to use ingredients I had on hand, and I made up the recipe as I went along. Russ thought that was "risky"-he's always kidding me that I experiment on others.

He watched others eat it Sunday and after they said it was good, then he jokingly said, "I guess no one got sick, so I can try it." He was just picking on me-he wasn't being mean. But it was funny then, when several said it was the best breakfast casserole they had ever eaten, and asked for the recipe! Here it is:

Kathy's Breakfast Casserole

The night before:

Butter a casserole pan liberally.

Cube up Texas Toast style bread (fresh, not toasted)-any bread would work

Brown breakfast meats and crumble-I used an assortment of finely diced ham (about 3/4 cup), bacon (4 slices, browned flat in oven to render the fat and brown to crispy), and hot bulk sausage (1/2 pound).

NOTE: I cooked a mixture called "sofrito" with my sausage. You're going to die when you read the recipe for it at the bottom of this recipe, so if you don't want to make sofrito, you can substitute diced chile peppers, green pepper, and onion.-not much of each-to total about 1/2 cup blended smooth.

Add crumbled breakfast meats to top of cubed bread in casserole dish. Allow to cool.

Mix up eggs-I used about 19 eggs for one loaf of bread, but you can judge how many you need based on how much bread you used. To stirred-up eggs I added about 2-3 cups of milk-again, adjust this for size of casserole. Then I added 1 regular carton of sour cream-this will be lumpy and that's okay.

After breakfast meats are cooled, pour the egg mixture over the casserole. Smooth the top to even out the sour cream. Add seasons to taste-I used a Krazy Salt seasoning.

Top with foil and let sit in refrigerator over night.

Bring out casserole about 1/2 hour before baking to get closer to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake casserole for 45 minutes with foil on.

Add 2 cups of shredded cheese-your choice-I used white and yellow cheddar. Leave foil off and continue baking for 20 minutes-???

It's done when cheese is melted, casserole has risen some (looks puffy), and casserole is firm.

SOFRITO (A Cuban seasoning mix, delicious in stews, egg dishes, and more):

2 medium Spanish onions, cut into large chunks
3-4 cubanelle peppers (I used fresh chile peppers)
16-20 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 large bunch of cilantro, washed
1 small "hot" pepper-like a habanero or 2 small milder peppers
3-4 ripe plum tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into large chunks

Blend all in food processor until smooth. Freeze 1/2 cup batches in freezer bags to be pulled out for various recipes. Makes about 7 batches.

No comments: