Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Details of when, etc.


Friday (7/28) my surgery is at 12:30 p.m. EST. The procedure itself takes 2-3 hours, and then I'll be in recovery an hour or more. Then I say bye-bye to the staff and come home to try to figure how in the world I'm going to move while this thing is in me. It will be great once I get through everything, but it will be a rough couple of months.

This first round is the trial period-so they won't be cutting on me. They will use a big needle to insert the lead wires into the spinal cord area that will give off electrical impulses. These wires will come out of the skin and go into an external control unit that will be on a belt that I will wear at all times. The biggest risk is infection since I will have an open area to the spine, and also a spinal headache if they get into the wrong space and I leak spinal fluid.

I'll have an IV so they can give me antibiotics and also to drug me for the procedure. I'll also take antibiotics by pill until next Tuesday or Wednesday. (I get the trial wires out on Tuesday).

I'll be awake so they can set the various preferences for the pulses and strengths and locations.

I should be home between 4:30-5:30 if all goes well.

Pray, pray, pray that this works so that I can go forward with the surgery SOON.

No comments: