Monday, July 24, 2006

A New Journey


Some of you know this, but for the rest of you, I wanted to update you about my back and legs. I have had physical therapy and other treatments this year for recurrent low back and leg problems. The doctor said my MRI showed the largest mass of scar tissue in my lower spine that he has ever seen thousands of MRIs. It is wrapped around the nerve root, and also invading the inside of the nerve. Also it is tethering the spinal cord.

We have exhausted all conservative measures, and researched our options. We've determined a spinal cord stimulator is the best way to go. I will have a trial version first. That will be done at Good Sam on Friday, July 28th. I will have the temporary leads removed on Tuesday, August 1st.

If the trial is successful, I will then have the implantation surgery (which is like back surgery and belly surgery in one) sometime later in August, probably around August 22nd. I will be under strict restrictions during the trial and the recovery period of 8 weeks. If I do not comply, this will not work, so I have to be a good girl! Also, since they will be cutting off parts of my spine (lamina), I will be laid up for a while.

The biggest risk factor is paralysis, so I'd appreciate your prayers, #1-that this is successful, #2-that I have a full recovery with no complications.

I have a very independent spirit, but I must make myself ask for help during this time period. That's not easy for me!

Several have asked me to journal my journey here on my blog. I will try not to bore you with "then I rolled out of bed" type posts and make it something that will possibly help you know how I'm recovering and also help new spinal cord stimulator patients.

The next few days I'll blog about the thoughts swirling around in my head. I'll be pretty transparent so if you are looking for a strong and brave soul, skip my blog. I'm just real-and that's okay because it is natural. Thankfully I can lean on a Lord who is SUPERnatural! When I am weak, then He is strong!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I will be praying for you. God's grace is more then enough. Do not try with in your own power put trust only in the Power of the Living God.

David R.