Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Reject or Accept?

REJECT OR ACCEPT

This week finds me writing query letters. The word query sounds —well— queer. Such and odd word to describe a sort of birthing process. Queries are actually letters inquiring whether an editor of a publication would be interested in considering a proposed article or book. It can be a daunting process. I am humbled when God gives me a story lead. When He does, I know He expects me to take the idea and run with it.

A query begins with a seed thought idea. The idea develops into the bare-bones skeleton of an outline or bulleted main points. Research discovers possible markets. The concept is described for the editor, allowing a sneak peak into the story potential. Finding just the right words is sometimes excruciating. The letter also must include why I should be the one to write the article. It feels uncomfortable to toot my own horn, but that is how the business works. Finally, the letter is submitted for consideration. Then, like anticipating a child's birth, the pacing and praying (and more pacing and praying) begins. Until the editor replies, the writer moves on to the next project.

The market I chose to target this week posted a need to one of my writing groups, and I responded. I presented 4 article ideas. The Web site said it would take 6-8 weeks for a reply. But within just hours, I heard back on 3 articles. For two, the editor requested to see the article on speculation. One more idea was rejected. I'm still waiting on the results of the fourth query, but until then, I must get busy on writing the two articles the editor wants to see. You can probably imagine my excitement to get such a quick response. And a positive one at that!

Sometimes, nonwriters do not understand my passion for the process. When I come up with a story concept, others look at me like it is some pipe dream. Talking to other writers is different. They get it. They provide support and accountability.

Being a Christ follower can be like this. Those outside of the faith just don't understand why we would trust in a God we can't see. Some might even think we are a bit delusional. But other Christians get it. They understand the process. Those further in their journey can offer advice and instruction. We support and pray for each other. The end product is much like getting an acceptance letter from an editor. We have persevered no matter what rejections have come our way. And finally we hear the words every Christian longs to hear, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." - Philippians 1:6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If we believers would pray for one another ahs Paul did, rarely did he pray for health or wealth for the other believers. Paul spent the majority of his time praying that they would grow deeper in their walk with Christ and desire His righteousness more. What a thrill to pray like that.

David R.