Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Amazing Race

The Amazing Race

In the reality show, "The Amazing Race," contestants compete against each other by traveling around the world, accepting various challenges along the way. A team is eliminated each week, when they come to the pit stop last.

I love watching the show because the scenery and culture is breathtaking, and the stunts reveal the true character of each contestant. I cheer on certain teams and frankly, I make wishes that certain teams will run into problems to slow down their journey.

I get wrapped up in the adventure, as if I were along for the race. And there is one thing I regret for each team member (whether they are my favorites or not). I am sorry the contestants can't spend more time enjoying each country. There is not enough time to visit the typical tourist attraction type places. I never see cameras in their hands, to record their trips (of course there are t.v. cameras everywhere!). It is too bad there is not more time allotted for the teams to relish the process rather than race to the finish.

And that thought leads me to my life lesson for today. Many of us are just as guilty about racing through life, trying to get to the finish line successfully, rather than embracing the journey that leads us to our ending.

I'm very certain that God did not just leave us here to punch alarm clocks and time clocks. He didn't inspire all of creation just for us to rush past it on our way to what we deem is important. Creation is there for our enjoyment. And we are here to enjoy each other, as well as to spend time with our God in fellowship.

That old hymn has it so right:

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known.

Let's not run the amazing race of life so quickly that we miss the fellowship with God and others along the way. Let's stop to smell the roses, and the coffee, and everything else we call "good."

No comments: