Wednesday, August 16, 2006

REAL WORSHIP


My 9 month old Boston Terrier, Jazzy, worships me. Maybe worship is too strong of a word, but I don't think so. She follows me from room to room just to be by my side. She'll rest at my feet or beg to lie in my lap. When I take a nap, she jumps up in bed and pressed the small of her back against the small of my back. She covers me with her kisses and looks up at me with an expression of adoration on her face. She trusts me to provide for all of her needs and many of her wishes. When I come in the door, she can't wait to greet me. Jazzy is content just being with me.

I have to admit that it feels good to have a creature love me with this kind of love. Adoration, worship, trust—all qualities hard to come by in 2006. Unconditional love, no strings attached, is unheard of. Some might wonder why I want to be tied down with the responsibilities of a pet, but nurturing Jazzy and taking care of her is my privilege considering all the benefits I get in return.

When God created mankind, he designed us for this kind of fellowship. But it seems the very things He wants from us are the things we never find time to do. If I took an inventory of my relationship with God based on how Jazzy treats me, I must admit I come woefully short.

•Do I just want to be with Him, 24/7?
•Do I follow Him wherever He goes, rather than expecting Him to follow me?
•Do I rest at His feet?
•Do I adore and worship Him?
•Do I trust Him to meet my needs and even some of my wants?

I pray that Jazzy will be my reminder to love God with all my heart, soul, and might. And worship is never too strong of a word to describe my love for the One who made me, saved me and now abides in me.

Kathy Carlton Willis
Living Out Loud Communications
http://imlivingoutloud.blogspot.com/
ImLivingOutLoud@aol.com

No comments: