Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Family Reunion

Family Reunion

The more homesick a person becomes the sweeter the plans for reuniting with family. I'm not homesick for a place, but for my people. I haven't seen Mom since August of 2004, and for many other family members it's been even longer. Our calendar is filled with dates scratched off for family reunions this year. Some are formal reunions with extended family. Others are more intimate gatherings for just a few. Each event will be special in its own way.

While celebrating Resurrection Sunday this month, I thought about another glad reunion day. How precious it must have been for Jesus to return to His Father. He had suffered many heartaches and afflictions, and had to endure them alone. Jesus' disciples abandoned Him just when He needed them most. Even Christ's Heavenly Father turned His back to Jesus on the cross. Perhaps God the Father had to let Jesus endure it alone, to pay the price for us. Maybe it was just too painful to witness the awful suffering.

Whatever the reason, I'm sure Jesus was elated to return to His Heavenly Home. Christ said He left Earth to prepare a place for us. If it only took God six days to create the universe and everything therein, can you imagine what can be done in two thousand years (and counting...)? Scripture also says that Jesus sits at the right hand of God. But I can't help but wonder if some of the time, since Jesus' ascension, has been spent embracing the Father and enjoying His presence.

I love watching greeting and parting scenes. A lot can be said about a relationship by the body language of a "hello" or a "good-bye." I have a creative imagination, and I can picture in my mind's eye, that when Christ returned to Heaven, He ran into the open arms of His Father. Of course in my mind that happens in slow motion. What a greeting! God shared Christ with us for about thirty-three years, and it must have seemed like an eternity since He had been able to embrace His Son.

And one day, our day will come. When we can run into the arms of God!

What a day of reunion that will be!

1 comment:

Diane Viere said...

Oh my goodness, my mother's heart skipped a beat to think that I would not have seen my daughter for such a long time. How exciting your reunion will be!

And what a profound thought to reference God--and how He must long to see us!

Blessings!

Diane