Wednesday, April 19, 2006

American Idol

Last night the contestants sang the American Standards. There were positives about each performance.

Chris-looked great (except for that ascot!). Sang a tender melody which spotlighted his vibrato and his range. Who knew he could sing something so outside of his box? The main beef I had with him, when hearing his song back, was that he sang with more nasal intonation that I care for.

Paris-had a much better look tonight. Classy. Others commented on how great her song was, and it was awesome, but to me, it was a bit safe for her. I thought this would be her night to win, and she didn't, in my "ears."

Taylor-sang a split personality song. The first part was a so/so rendition of Sam Cooke's original, and the last part exploded. Simon called it "magic." Was it magical enough to keep him in out of the bottom three? It depends on the callers.

Elliott-had a great sound, and definitely had fun singing it, but does he have the fan base to keep him safe from the bottom three tonight?

Ace-sported a slicked back baby ponytail, and suit-looked nice. Sounded good too, especially the top part of his range. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it will be enough to keep him safe. His fan base has not kept him out of the bottom three. It might be his night to go.

Kellie-looked like a Barbie doll I have from the early 60s (even the dress!). I loved the song she picked, and parts of it were beautiful. Unfortunately, she was pitchy in spots and she rushed ahead of the music for a lot of it. In her words, she "butchered it." For that rendition she deserves to be in the bottom three, but I believe her fan base will come through for her and give her enough votes to be safe.

Katharine-looked like a bombshell, and sounded like one too. She sang one of my all-time favorite songs. But, it seemed she was having a love affair with the close-up camera. Simon said she made the others sound like amateurs. I'm not sure I would go that far, but she really has pipes. If she isn't safe tonight, it's only because her fans let her down.

No comments: