Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Who Am I?

"Can you take a long article and cut it down for me?" asked the church secretary.

"Sure, I'd be glad to help you out. How long is the original article?" I replied.

"Well — we asked for a bio, and received a 4 page article. I only have space for about 75-100 words."

"You're talking a major reduction here! Sure, I'm up for the challenge. Give me a couple of days." I said, before ending the phone conversation.

Isn't that just how life is? We think our life is "all that" and we can go on for pages about how important we are, and detailing the big events and accomplishments we have experienced. When someone wants to know who we are, we tell him what we DO instead of sharing about our inner person.

If a woman has a hysterectomy or a mastectomy, is she any less a woman? If a man loses his arms and legs and can no longer labor for a living, is he any less of a man? If we removed all the things we do in life, and take away the way we look, what is left? What is our essence?

If you had to whittle away all the extraneous fluff and leave behind only the parts about you that Jesus sees, how would you describe yourself in 100 words or less? The Bible talks about so much of what we do being wood, hay, and stubble that can be burned away in the refining fire. If you removed all of that, what would be left?

I cut away all the bone and fat from my meat so I can measure in ounces the amount I am allotted on my new eating plan. If you were to cut the "fat" from your life, what would remain?

See how important it is to get to the essence of who you really are? Writers might call it a thesis statement. Businesses might call it a mission statement. Socialites errantly want to "make a statement" but Jesus just wants us emptied of self and ready to be filled up with His Spirit.

I don't let my resume or my health problems define who I am. Besides, it's more important WHOSE I am.

Now it's your turn. Who are you?

(c) Kathy Carlton Willis

1 comment:

Full Contact, Savior-centric Livin said...

So true. I often ask myself, "Who am I?", but like you, I know I'm His. That's what counts.