Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Shed Blood

I voted this week. There were no major issues, but I wanted to do my part for my country. I told my husband that there is no other greater duty outside of church to mankind than to vote. I compared it to giving blood. It felt good to wear the "I Voted Today" sticker all day long.

Today I saw on the news that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld stepped down. Politics aside, I hurt for our armed forces. This Saturday is Veteran's Day. Our veterans are willing to sacrifice the ultimate price for our country. All I did was vote. I compared it to donating blood to the Red Cross. But they shed their blood to protect our country and to keep the wars away from our soil. They leave all they know and love to do their civic duty. I will highly respect our military. I'm grateful for our veterans because they risked their lives for me and others, perfect strangers.

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ paid the ultimate price. He suffered and died, an innocent man, for a crime he did not commit, to pay the price for a people who may or may not accept this gift of love. Veterans often feel unappreciated and misunderstood. I imagine our Lord has felt the same way. In fact, in Luke 17:11-19, it is documented that Jesus healed ten lepers. One (a Samaritan) glorified God, and fell down on his face at Jesus' feet and gave Him thanks. Jesus answered, "Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger. And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole."

Jesus understands what veterans feel like for others to take them for granted. This week of our Thanksgiving month, let's focus our gratitude on our veterans who volunteer their blood for our freedom. And, like the one Samaritan, let us also fall at the feet of our Savior and give God the glory with our gratitude and thanksgiving.

No comments: