Thursday, November 16, 2006

Deer are Dear!

This morning, I had a treat for breakfast. Not lucky charms. A treat of the visual kind. I looked out our French doors and into our woods and saw a deer. Another deer was frolicking in the field next to the woods. She disappeared into the woods to forage for food. Then not two, not three, but FOUR deer walked in an almost straight line into the field. They started running. It seemed they would run right into traffic, during rush hour. I found myself crying out, "Oh baby, be careful. Don't get hit!" Believe it or not, the head deer, looked both ways and put on the brakes. All the other deer followed suit. Then, a merciful driver slowed down and the deer seemed to know it was safe to run across the road. I wasn't so sure about the driver, but she stopped. Imagine her delight, to watch three deer run right in front of her bumper! I said three deer because the fourth one was stuck in the field, scared to death. The driver waved to the deer to go ahead and join the others. I doubt the deer understood the sign language, but did sense it was safe, and she ran the fastest of all to catch up with the others, playing in a field on the other side of the road. It was an amazing sight.

I didn't take any photos, but I do have a picture of my two "dears" to share with you. This was when Russ and Jazzy were lounging.

No comments: