Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Family and Friends/Old and New Part One

Last week we dropped off Jazzy (our not quite 2 year old Boston Terrier) at a friend's home so we could attempt a REAL getaway. Thanks, Dillards, for treating Jazzy like one of your own. You went way above and beyond the call of friendship duty! Jazzy acclimated immediately, and we were on our way.

We drove from Southwest Kentucky up to Clarksville, Missouri for a long weekend. When we arrived, my mom, and Aunt Verna Jean and Uncle Lewis burst out the door to greet us with welcoming hugs. What a reception! I had not seen my mom in 15 months, and my Aunt and Uncle in years. The family "reunion" had begun!

Then my brother Wade and his 11-year-old son Taishi returned from playing tennis. I had not seen them in 3 years (they live in Japan with my sister-in-law Kana). Quite a difference between an 8-year-old nephew and an 11-year-old! Taishi did an amazing job with English, considering it is his second language. Wade and Kana have certainly raised him right!

Aunt Verna had planned our menu for the entire time, and she spoiled us like royalty. Everyone needs a vacation like that from time to time!

On Saturday more family came in from out of town, prior to the wedding. My Aunt Deanna and Uncle Bob drove down from Waterloo, IA with my cousin Sonya. And my cousin Valinda drove my Aunt Virginia up for the ceremony and reception from St. Louis. What fun to see all my cousins in their 40s-many of us experiencing those midlife hot flashes!

Aunt Deanna and Sonya have both been e-mail buddies of mine for a couple of years, so I finally got to turn those virtual hugs into reality. YAY!

No comments: