Monday, June 13, 2011
JUNE JOURNEY: My Expectations are Showing...
Before we move into another aspect of dealing with expectations, I thought it might be helpful to identify some. I've made up a partial list. Have you ever wanted to say one of these to someone else (a friend, a family member, a co-worker, a client, a church member, a neighbor, you name it!)?
I Expect You To:
· Desire to grow and progress as an individual
· Have a code of ethics—integrity
· Put God and others before self when it comes to priorities
· Be honest with me
· Work hard—not try to get by with as little as possible
· Ask permission first, not assume you will merely ask for forgiveness later
· Care about what’s important to me, even if it’s not important to you
· Not just hear me, but truly listen
· Nurture me
· Affirm me with your words and your actions
· Give me the benefit of the doubt
· Treat me as you wish to be treated
· Communicate truth rather than what you think I want to hear
· (Well, that, and just plain COMMUNICATE!)
· Realize I have work hours and play hours, my life isn’t just a hobby
· Know how to give me service if you call yourself “customer service”
· Know that poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on my part
Add your own expectations in the human race in the comments section below. When is it wrong to have expectations? Is it ever right?