Monday, May 01, 2006

Dream World

Hum the music to Twilight Zone, and you will have the proper backdrop for what I'm about to write. I don't put a lot of stock into those who evaluate dreams or have New Age type thinking. But I've always had a vivid dream life. Russ, on the other hand, rarely remembers his dreams, and sleeps like a log.

But two night's ago, before Barb was put into the hospital, we both had creepy dreams. Not only did we have them, but at lunch Sunday we could still remember enough about the dreams to tell each other what we dreamt. That is most unusual. Normally we have dream amnesia when we wake up.

I dreamt that I was sick and on a ventilator and Russ was having to make the decision about whether or not to have the vent disconnected. He chose to "unplug" me and released me to whatever might be.

Remember that Twilight Zone music? So weird that I dreamt it, and then less than 24 hours later Greg is having to make decisions about using a ventilator for Barb. (See previous posts to get caught up)

This was not something that we had been discussing. But it was obviously on my mind, in some deep dark corner.

While I was tossing with this personal dream grief, Russ was dreaming more of a horror movie. He said there was this evil ugly being that could cause the death of another just by having the other person look at him. Some thought they were strong enough, or doubted they would die, and looked into the face of this evil ugly being. No person who challenged this entity survived. Russ said he could look at the being if he looked at him through a mirror. Many carried around rear view mirrors just so they could see if this evilness was nearby. I think part of the dream was how to catch the entity and save the world.

I don't interpret dreams. But I can't help but wonder if the entity represented death. Some think they can beat death. They they think are untouchable. But all must face it.

Maybe we both had much more on our minds when we went to bed Saturday night than we realized. We had eaten a normal dinner (no anchovy pizza) with friends and had a light hearted evening of fellowship. But our sleep life made us face what our subconscious was dealing with.

Who knows? Just one of those weird things that makes you scratch your head and move forward-try not to make too much out of it.

No comments: