Sunday, March 01, 2009

GIFTED HANDS: The Ben Carson Story

I'm up late watching GIFTED HANDS: The Ben Carson Story. I set my DVR to record it almost 4 weeks ago, but am just now slowing down long enough to sit this still for 2 hours (minus the fast-forwards through commercials). Originally I taped it because Cecil Murphey was the book collaborator for this story, and I'm a big fan of Cec. It doesn't hurt that Cuba Gooding, Jr. stars in the made-for-TV movie. He's also one of my faves.

I have to say, I'm so very touched by this movie. I've heard it pretty accurately depicts the true life of Dr. Ben Carson. I wish I could find a doctor with similar character traits to help tackle the Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in my lower leg.

Dr. Carson was brought up underprivileged and challenged to make something of his life. He found a whole new world through library books that changed his direction in life. And according to the movie, he overcame an anger problem through a faith in God. By the time he was in college, he had his head screwed on straight and was ready to achieve. And his achievements could fill another book!

What an amazing success story For Dr. Carson. Now I plan to go back and read the book for sure! Perhaps some of you will want to pick it up as well.

No comments: